Labels

Menu (148) Ads (146) Normal Life (57) Tip Tuesday (54) Chickens (43) Frugal Friday (38) Grocery (23) Holidays (10) How it Worked (8) Garden (6) General Spending (6) Organizing (6) c (4) Quilt (3) Rabbits (3)

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Weekly Menu 1/11+

I did a wonderful amount of cooking over the almost two weeks I was on vacation for Christmas holidays.

Monday night, I pulled a meal from the freezer that just needed to be heated up thanks to my meal swap group.  I saved all of those meals while I was off knowing I would appreciate them more when I was back at work.



Last night I served J a 'plate of yellow' cleaning out a number of small amounts of various items from my freezer.  Guess that hard cold reality of hurrying home to cook dinner was in its full glory on night #2.



Wednesday (tonight) 2/3 of us 'weren't really hungry' so I ate leftovers (which means at some point I did cook), and then heated up leftovers for J when he decided he too was hungry.

I'm keepin it real here.

Without a doubt my favorite meal I actually cooked in recent memory was the Beef Enchiladas, and I didn't make into enchiladas, but it was still wonderfully delicious. This is not a meal you could easily pull off on a weeknight because of the 2.5 hour baking time, but it is worth every bit of the effort for a weekend meal or when you have time.

Old-Fashioned Enchiladas (America's Test Kitchen)

  • 3 lb chuck roast; cut in 1 1/2" pieces
  • salt and pepper
  • 2T oil
  • 2 onions, minced (I cut mine pretty small, but not minced)
  • 3T chili powder
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp ground coriander (I couldn't find any of this at HEB)
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-15 oz cans tomato sauce
  • 1/4 c dry red wine
  • 2c grated cheddar (if preparing the enchiladas)
  • 12 corn tortillas (same)
Heat oven to 300 degrees.  Season beef with salt and pepper.  Heat half of oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking.  Add half of the beef and cook until well browned on all sides, about 8 minutes, turning as needed.  Transfer beef to a bowl.  Repeat with the remaining oil and beef.  

Add onions and 1/2 tsp salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5-7 minutes.  Stir in the chili powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook until the spices are fragrant and darken slightly.  Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant.  Stir in the tomato sauce and wine, bring to a simmer scraping up any browned bits.  

Return the beef, along with any accumulated juice to the sauce.  Bring to a simmer, then cover teh pot and place in the oven.  Cook until the meat is tender, 2 to 2.5 hours.  ** This is where I put in a bowl and we ate dinner, like chili, but oh so better.**  Transfer the beef to a plate.  Pour the sauce through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding the solids and set aside.  You should have about 2 cups sauce.  

If continuing to the enchiladas, shred the beef into bite-sized pieces, place in a bowl.  Add 1/4 c of sauce and 1c of the cheese, toss to combine.  

Heat the tortillas and roll 1/3 c of beef mixture down the center of each tortilla, tightly roll and lay seam side down in a baking dish.  Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas to coat evenly.  Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.  Cover tightly with foil.  Bake at 375 for 20-25 min.  

No comments: