|Saturday||pork potato goulash|
|Sunday||hamburgers & hotdogs|
pico de gallo
cantaloupe & blueberries
|Wednesday||layered meatball bake|
carrot sticks & dip
For those of you who were paying attention last week I did switch desserts between the summary menu and what was actually typed out. I did that well mostly because I couldn’t find the recipe I wanted to include and the pressure was on and it was getting late and I wanted to go to sleep; you know it was pushing 9:30.
1. Hopefully you have some leftover pork roast that you can use.
· 2 c diced roast pork
· 1 onion, chopped
· 2 c diced cooked potatoes
· 2T butter
· 1 can cream of mushroom soup
· 2/3 c milk
· 1 tsp steak sauce
· ½ cooked peas, green beans, or other left over veggie
Cook pork, potatoes and onion in the butter until lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients and simmer about 5 minutes.
1. Please note the very technical nature of the potato salad recipe. I wanted to point out how specific it is.
Hamburgers & Hot dogs
· Diced potatoes (slightly larger than you want for the finished product)
· Celery, minced
· Hard boiled eggs (yolks removed if you really don't like that part)
· Dill relish; never chop a pickle again
· Onion, minced (don't let anyone see you put it in there)
· Mayo & mustard (until they combine to create the perfect shade of very pale yellow)
· Salt & pepper
· Paprika (cuz it’s not done until this is sprinkled on the top)
Boil the potatoes, don't let them cook all the way to mush. Drain and then cool in a large pot filled with ice water. You want to do this early in the steps because the potatoes will just keep cooking. Combine all your other ingredients, add potatoes until it looks and tastes like potato salad.
1. This is a great day to have a brisket. My best advice is that you find the best deal on a brisket and then hand the slab of beef over to your better half and ask him to smoke it up for y'all. If that’s not a viable option you can cook it yourself or buy one at HEB, or any of the four Lockhart BBQ locations.
2. The only advice I can offer after many a ruined slab of beef is to cook it fat side down. It seems to protect the meat the most.
Combine bacon, lettuce and tomato serve with home-mixed ranch dressing
Frost a white sheet cake and then use strawberries for stripes and blueberries for the star area. If you want to get really creative use food coloring to color portions of the cake red, white and blue. Pour it into the cake pan either in layers or into a swirl pattern.
1. I know some of you don't like fruited meat, but this might not be too sweet. Of course you can skip the fruit and just make BBQ chicken.
Pollo Asado (Tasty Kitchen)
· ½ cups Olive Oil
· ½ cups Orange Juice (freshly Squeezed If Possible; Save Juiced Orange Halves)
· 2 whole Lemons, Juiced
· 2 whole Limes, Juiced
· 4 whole Garlic, Cloves Peeled And Smashed
· 2 whole Onions, Peeled And Quartered
· 1 teaspoon Salt
· 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
· 16 chicken legs or thighs
In a bowl, combine olive oil, orange juice, lemons, limes, salt, pepper, and garlic cloves, saving juiced fruit. Whisk together. Place chicken legs, juiced pieces of fruit, and quartered onions in large plastic bags or bowl. Pour marinade over the top, tossing to combine. Cover with plastic wrap (if using bowl) and marinate for at least two hours–several hours is better. Toss a few times during the marinating process. Preheat broiler to high—or cook on grill. Arrange oven rack toward bottom of oven. Lay chicken legs on a broiler pan, or other baking dish with a drip tray. Broil for 25 minutes, turning once and marinating other side halfway through. Remove pan from oven when done.
Pico de gallo
Dice tomatoes, onions, a little jalapeno and cilantro
Cantaloupe & blueberries
Layered Meatball Bake
· Stove top stuffing
· Cream of mushroom soup
· ¼ c milk
· ~2 dozen meatballs
· 2 c frozen peas
· 1 c grated cheddar
Prepare stuffing mix as directed on package; set aside. Combine soup and milk in a 9x13 pan,. Stir in meatballs and peas; sprinkle with cheese. Top with prepared stuffing. Bake 20-25 min at 400 or until heated through.
Carrot Sticks & DipChips