Labels

Menu (148) Ads (146) Normal Life (57) Tip Tuesday (54) Chickens (43) Frugal Friday (38) Grocery (23) Holidays (10) How it Worked (8) Garden (6) General Spending (6) Organizing (6) c (4) Quilt (3) Rabbits (3)

Monday, June 24, 2013

Tip Tuesday--Reducing Mail Clutter

I'm sure you've all given up on me related to having another useful tip here, but I came across it the other day and felt it was blog worthy.

I despise opening the mail.  Not the personalized mail that is so rare these days with emails, texts and tweets (though I'm not personally a twit), but the mail that comes from all sorts of random places trying to get you to buy their stuff, send them money, apply for their credit card to 'afford' the previous two items, subscribe to overpriced insurance and all manner of catalogs and what not.

Well I've had it!  This is the pile of junk mail that has come into my house in the last two weeks.

TWO WEEKS!

Enough is finally enough.  I have started replying to all of the things that I used to just throw away (personal info) and recycle (the rest of it).

The cute little return address labels... I sent them a note, please stop sending me these I don't intend to give to your organization.

The other places I've donated to in the past, but don't anymore.  I've sent them a note as well to spend their  dollars in a different place.  I'm not donating, I'm trying to save them some money and I want the mail to decrease.

Then I stumbled onto a credit card offer that held the mother lode of opt out options.  After contacting that call center I call this number: 1-888-567-8688 (888-5- OPT-OUT).  This site by the Federal Trade Commission also provides this same phone number and option to get out of these offers for 5 years!  Hooray!!!

It is a little worrisome when you have to put in your SSN and birth date, but because I was calling them I went ahead with it.

I think my plan is working because Friday we did not have ANY mail delivered to our box.






No comments: