Labels

Menu (148) Ads (146) Normal Life (57) Tip Tuesday (54) Chickens (43) Frugal Friday (38) Grocery (23) Holidays (10) How it Worked (8) Garden (6) General Spending (6) Organizing (6) c (4) Quilt (3) Rabbits (3)

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Frugal Friday--Valentine's Day Budget Massacre

This week was Valentine's Day and I've already ranted here about how I'm not a fan of companies telling me when I should express love to my husband and how much on average I should spend doing it.  Or worse that he should spend on me to stay in my 'good graces'.  Ugh.  So I promise not to go there again this year.

However, when it comes to school Valentine's I'm on board with the whole exchange.  Usually I'm not a big fan of giving candy but I must be getting soft in my old age, because when J and I went to Hobby Lobby last week to buy supplies to make our Valentine's (thanks to J for her inspiration), I spotted the Fun Dips.  They were a little more than I really wanted to spend, but I always liked those as a kid....  Minit-Mart had them and if I could talk my parents into letting me ride my bike all the way down to that store (the danger on Manor back then was traffic) it was such a treat.  Anyway, I digress.

I thought hey, we'll make these cute pencil valentines AND we'll give the fun dips and I'll be the cool mom that every other mom despises because the candy bin was JUST starting to get empty after the plethora of Christmas candies.

Let's just say that the hand-made valentines didn't happen; cuz that would be the absolute truth.

But the fun dips were addressed to the class and ready to go on Friday, thanks to a day off of school.

All that is well and good, but here's the rub.  Sunday as we waited in the check-out line at the grocery store I noticed fun dips for valentines day.  Yes, they were HALF of what I had paid the other day, and they weren't even on sale.  UGH!  That's what happens when I go with the impulse purchase.

So what could I do?  Well nothing really at that point.

HOWEVER, if you want the ultimate in frugal tip, Wednesday was THE day to hit the stores (Walgreen's, Target, CVS) and pick up next year's valentines, especially if you were going with the traditional 30-in-a-box card types.  You can usually get them at 50% off of what I could have paid on Sunday and likely 75% off what I paid at the other store.

I don't recommend buying the candy and trying to save it for a year.  You really don't want to try and keep everyone out of the fun dips for another 364 days.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to resist for that many days.

Besides how could you resist your tongue and possibly your finger turning blue or green or red?  
I know, I couldn't either.

No comments: