Labels

Menu (148) Ads (146) Normal Life (57) Tip Tuesday (54) Chickens (43) Frugal Friday (38) Grocery (23) Holidays (10) How it Worked (8) Garden (6) General Spending (6) Organizing (6) c (4) Quilt (3) Rabbits (3)

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Weird Chicken Happenin's

Last night just before we went for our walk L and I looked in the coop and noticed that we had four eggs waiting for us.  However one of the eggs was cracked, or pecked on, but the shell section was missing from that area.  It was clearly cracked in that area.  Perhaps another bird???  Everything else was completely normal; well as normal as anything can be out here.  So he tossed the egg out and we went on our walk.  

When we returned we found this...

Just to be clear it is an egg, with a bit of poop, or #2 as J would like it referred to now.  But please notice that there is absolutely no shell around the egg.  It wasn't on the porch.  It wasn't on the torch.  It wasn't in a bush.  It wasn't on a tush.  

Even L thought this was a blog-worthy moment.

Weird huh?  Well just wait!

This morning I received a text from my neighbor, who helps with egg consumption, that her husband had cracked another double yolked egg.  This was the second this spring.  

Today we were gone all day and when we returned just after four we found this...
This was again close to the water bowl.  And if you aren't sure what you are looking at I will admit that I didn't touch it (there was LOTS of gooey-ness + #2).  Upon very close examination it appears to be a chicken embryo of some sort.  There is a little umbilical type cord that would attach to the yolk sac and the resemblance of a spinal cord and a little head.  

Please also note what is missing again... the shell!  How does this happen.  If anyone out there in blog-land has experience with this, please let me know!  

Pretty weird stuff happenin' here right?

Also missing from our place... a rooster!  Is this some sort of immaculate chicken conception?  
Has someone been having unauthorized visitors or been off tramping around?  
I thought we were running a chicken convent here.  

I have no idea what to expect for tomorrow.  

Does anyone know a good chicken ob-gyn?  I think I might need one.

2 comments:

Cindy Bultema said...

Oh my! Sorry I can be of no assistance...all I can say is there is never a dull moment at your place!
Love to you
Cindy :)

Anonymous said...

Google this phrase "chicken born without egg Sri Lanka". maybe evolution is taking place in your own backyard. I bet that would make for a good science fair project.

C