Labels

Menu (148) Ads (146) Normal Life (57) Tip Tuesday (54) Chickens (43) Frugal Friday (38) Grocery (23) Holidays (10) How it Worked (8) Garden (6) General Spending (6) Organizing (6) c (4) Quilt (3) Rabbits (3)

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Weekly Menu 11/9+

A couple of weeks ago we were supposed to have steak.  However, the propane tank would not release any of the gas so necessary to getting things fired up, which meant I had to exchange it.  Of course before I could do that I had to also remember to take it with me.  That turned out to be the largest part of the challenge.  

The beginning of the week was not terribly note worthy, but the end of the week was all about clean up the fridge and freezer.  

Then thanks to our first cold snap on Thursday last week I made Beef Barley Soup which really turns into more of a stew.  Of course it cooks really well in my dutch oven.   I was working from home last week Thursday because J was home sick.  During my lunch break I happen to be digging around in the freezer in the kitchen (as opposed to our deep freeze), and found all these little bits of this and that.  

Taking advantage of being at home during the day I found a couple of small containers of beef broth that were left over from pot roasts of yore.  Those went into my soup.  

I also found cake batter and a note to myself that read it would make six cupcakes.  Plus about one muffin's worth of banana muffin batter.  No, I don't know why I saved that either.  So I combined the two into a small glass bowl and baked it in my toaster oven.  It just seemed too small a 'cake' to heat up the whole oven for.  Then I had a bit of cream cheese frosting that was left over from something and that almost got used up on the cake.    

Again home on Friday, I used up the last of the pork roast in King Ranch Casserole.  I used a can of cream of mushroom soup, two fresh tomatoes, diced, green onions that were chopped in the freezer in a small container, plus all the left over pork roast, a square of white velveeta cubed, 10 leftover corn tortillas, and of course freshly grated cheese.  

Saturday we had hamburgers at Hilbert's on Burnet Rd, but were so full from our late lunch that we didn't eat supper.  

No comments: