Labels

Menu (148) Ads (146) Normal Life (57) Tip Tuesday (54) Chickens (43) Frugal Friday (38) Grocery (23) Holidays (10) How it Worked (8) Garden (6) General Spending (6) Organizing (6) c (4) Quilt (3) Rabbits (3)

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Terrific Tuesday Tip--Making the Bed

This tip is likely only for some of you.  In fact I KNOW it is only for some of you, because I know there are those of you out there in the wide world who would not consider going through the day without making your bed.  Y'all can skip this week if you'd like.

This is for the rest of you.

I like my bed to be made, and therefore almost every day I make it; 29 of 30 days OK maybe closer to 59 of 60 days.

The reason I like my bed made?  The bed takes up a lot of space in the room, and if it's made it looks like my room is a lot cleaner than it probably really is.  So here are my tips at how to quickly make your bed.

We'll start at the beginning; a very good place to start.  When you read you begin with A, B, C.  When you make your bed you begin with ZZZZZ.  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Seriously though, I start in my bed.


This is the view from my bed.  I did have to get up and get my camera, but I do start in the bed.  Here's some of the disheveled covers.  And if you are the first one to get up in the morning, making the bed is a good excuse to crawl back under the covers for a legitimate reason after the other person gets up.

This picture is just to prove that we don't sleep without moving all night.
I should warn you, we have a LOT of layers on our bed.  Not that it's cold in our house or anything, but we like the extra weight in the winter.  We currently have a top sheet, cotton blanket, followed by four quilts of different weights.

You'll start making the bed on the opposite side of where you normally sleep, but stay on your normal side.  If you sleep in the middle, scoot to one side. Pull the sheet and first blanket flat and smooth so that it looks like this:

We have a bit of a strange set up for our bed (a former waterbed frame), so the top sheet actually gets folded back on itself and 'hidden' under the remaining layers of blankets during the day, vs. hanging down over the sides.

Then start with the next layers, until you get to the top layer.  It wont look perfect just yet, but you are more than half way home.

Now start working your feet to get your side straightened out, pulling, tugging gently on the sheet and first blanket; consider them a pair.  No sleeping any extra now.  Slide out of the bed.

Now that you are out of the bed, finish straightening out that sheet and first blankey layer.  Finish off with the remaining 5-6 layers.  Then walk around and 'pretty up' the top layer on both sides of the bed, and viola' you're finished!
Please notice we don't have any extra throw pillows on the bed.  There's nothing decorative hanging out on the bed top because that stuff takes extra time.  Yes, I think it looks great in pictures, but the real world I live in just can't imagine shams and throw pillows just for decoration to put on and take off every day.

No judgement if you want that stuff, but you might think about how often that's what keeps you from making your bed.

Did you think this was a weak topic?  Well I've got some equally riveting ideas coming up.  Exciting things like how to clean sweep a room, or how to quickly serve ice cream, or make a smoothie.

I'm happy to hear ideas you might have or want me to explore/investigate.

Perhaps I lost most of you and you've fallen asleep at the computer.  Crawl into bed tonight and think about it in the morning.


No comments: