Labels

Menu (148) Ads (146) Normal Life (57) Tip Tuesday (54) Chickens (43) Frugal Friday (38) Grocery (23) Holidays (10) How it Worked (8) Garden (6) General Spending (6) Organizing (6) c (4) Quilt (3) Rabbits (3)

Monday, July 2, 2012

Tip Tuesday--Storing Onions

Back in the spring I planted onions, and then the rains came and by late May we had a bountiful onion harvest.  But we don't eat onions that fast, so I needed to store them in a way that they would last a good long time, like several months.

Since they are a root vegetable I could have stored them in my root cellar, but oh wait, we don't have one of those.  So instead they will have to be stored in the pantry on the cool floor.

If you can keep them from touching they will last a good long time.  Nana taught me a long time ago that if you have a bunch of onions, you can save your old pantyhose when you get a run in them and use those to store your onions.

I'm not sure about you guys, but I can't remember the last time I put on a pair of hose.


Business casual is the way of life in my workplace so I didn't have any that were no longer good, but I had a bunch of them left over in a drawer and in an effort to use something up, I pulled out a pair and put them to good use.  

I left some onions out that I thought I could use up fairly quickly, and the rest are 'in storage'.

My boss shared that he individually wraps onions in newspaper and then puts them in his fridge, but my fridge is almost always packed and this just wouldn't work.

I guess he has to use newspaper since he doesn't wear hose to work either.  :)

No comments: