Labels

Menu (148) Ads (146) Normal Life (57) Tip Tuesday (54) Chickens (43) Frugal Friday (38) Grocery (23) Holidays (10) How it Worked (8) Garden (6) General Spending (6) Organizing (6) c (4) Quilt (3) Rabbits (3)

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Frugal Friday--Make it Harder to Shop Online

Online shopping is wonderful.  I find it to be a bit like year-round Christmas.  Brown paper packages (not tied up with string) arrive at my door/gate and I always get my favorite things.

I have logins for Amazon, Dillards, Land's End, just to name a few of my most common shopping sites and I do not have to look up my login account information anytime I want to order from these sites. I do try to make a habit of putting things in my cart and walking away for a day or at least a few hours before I make a purchase.

One thing I did not do on these sites is save my credit/debit card number.  Yes, there is the security risk with that option, but my real goal is to make it a little harder on myself to make a purchase.  I have yet to turn on one-click ordering on Amazon, because I want to make myself pause and go and find my debit card number and type or at least paste it in before I make a purchase decision.

At one point a few years ago I did have my entire 16 digit credit card number memorized, but thankfully I got a new card and purposefully did not memorize the replacement.

I know one person that stays far away from ebay because that desire to 'win' took over for a little while a few years back.

What sort of tricks do you use to keep your online purchases down or at least a little under control?

No comments: