Labels

Menu (148) Ads (146) Normal Life (57) Tip Tuesday (54) Chickens (43) Frugal Friday (38) Grocery (23) Holidays (10) How it Worked (8) Garden (6) General Spending (6) Organizing (6) c (4) Quilt (3) Rabbits (3)

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Frugal Friday--Save the Towels

I sometimes get personal here and today is going to be one of those days.  Have your towels ever gotten that funk?  I mean that stinky moldy smell that just won't go away no matter how many times you wash the towel?  

I hope it's never happened to you, but I have a feeling I'm not alone.  

I'm happy to report I have found the solution.  


I used to have these fabulous lavender towels.  They were great.  Wonderfully absorbent, crisp yet fluffy, great color; really everything you could want from a towel.  Then they got the funk.  

Finally, one Saturday I had had enough and I decided that I would just cut off one end of the towel and turn the towel into a few cleaning rags... you know for those desperate moments when I do actually clean something.  

Then the craziest thing happened, I used bleach on my new rag, it didn't fade the towel AND the stink went away.  WHAT?  Yep so I tried it out on some more towels that were starting down that bad path and figured the worst that could happen is that I would have some more rags.  

Turns out that 1/4 c bleach + cold water wash + detergent + stinky towels = no more stink-i-ness.  

In full-disclosure I have had a few spots on my dark green towels that faded a little (something into a shade of pink, which I'm told is better than 50 shades of gray), and then my multi-colored towels have a little fade spot too, but it's not noticeable.  

So do this


and avoid having your towels come out like this.





No comments: